[Spridgets] Midget headlight switch

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Fri Feb 13 20:23:56 MST 2009

Tracy
They weren't durable when new, and now, even less so.  The innards are very
simple.  an "H" shaped piece of copper, two small springs, two white
pistons, if I remember correctly.  Depending on what broke on the new
switch, you should be able to take the cosmetic parts from the new switch
and combine them with the functioning parts of a used switch and make one
that is semi-durable and looks nice.  Beware, the white printing will wear
off quickly, and so will the thin chrome plating. Often the little green
lens will fall out too. If you aren't doing a full restore,  painting your
old switch bezels semi-gloss black is a good way to make the old switches
look pretty good.  Relays are practically a must unless you are running the
old non-halogen headlights.  The extra amperage puts too much heat to the
switch, makes the plastic brittle, and speeds the self destruct process of
not only the switch, but the expensive (and poorly made) turn signal switch
as well.  The closer the relays are installed to the headlights, the less
current loss and the brighter your headlights will be.

David R.