[Spridgets] New truck is LEGAL!

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:50:20 MST 2009

The 1959 Morris pickup I got after I got back from LotO got its CA license
today.  The inspector had no problems with the numbers, didn't ask any tough
questions and gave me my plate and sticker.  Unfortunately, he also insisted
on keeping the Heritage certificate as some sort of "pink slip".  I explained
to him that anyone in the country could pay the same $$ and get a copy of the
certificate with my info on it and that it was NOT any sort of legal document.
After quite a bit of arguing, I had to leave with the plate and tag and he
kept the certificate.  DO NOT BRING YOUR HERITAGE CERTIFICATE to the CA DMV.
Generous soul that he was, he gave me a xerox of it.  Thanks loads you
bureaucratic drone!  I fought a year to get permission to use my black/yellow
plates on the Sprite, I suppose its back into the trenches to get back my
Heritage certificate.  Freaking pencil pushers!!!!!  He also told me that my
little toy is a commercial vehicle because of its flatbed and would need a
weight certificate.  It took half the morning to find a place that could weigh
it and issue a DMV-acceptable certificate.  (1500lbs, before you ask)  So I
guess that I'm now a gen-u-ine trucker.  Gotta get me some of those chrome
naked babe mudflaps.  All things considered, to take a vehicle in with no
paperwork  but a BMIHT  certificate and a smile, and leave with a valid CA
license for a grand total of $125 in fees is a pretty good day.

When I finish the wood for the stake-side flatbed in a week or two I'll post
the final pictures.
As I was leaving the DMV a guy rushed up and told me his problems with his
dad's 1957 Morris Minor convertible.  Seems he's desperate to get original
Morris wheels for it and get rid of the "aftermarket mag wheels on it now".  I
told him I could certainly get him a set and that I'd be happy to trade for
those nasty old mags on it now.  He said that would be great.  Guess who is
going to get a set of Minilites for the cost of 4 old Moggie wheels? (insert
fiendish giggle)  Some days you eat the bear................

Glen Byrns