[Spridgets] Did Sprite offer this chrome strip like the Midget?...pict.

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:41:01 MST 2009

Brad's car is a Midget though, right Brad? ....     My 1968 Midget doesn't
have the side trim but it does have the bonnet arrow.  Looking inside the
fenders, it appears that the car once *did* have the side trim but someone
took it off and filled the clip holes. I will put it back on as the
restoration progresses.

I looked in my books and couldn't find an example of a Sprite with side
trim. That said, nothing is impossible!  These later cars were mostly made
on the same assembly line. Picture a conversation such as this....

Ian:  Oi, mate!  I've got a Sprite body coming down the line but we've got a
lorrie full of Midget side trim to use up and no more Midgets...  Whatcha
want me to do?

Reggie: Right!  Put some bleedin' trim on the Sprite and lets get rid of
that lot.

Happened all the time with my old bikes. They used up whatever parts they
had on hand regardless of whether the vehicle was *supposed* to have them or
not. What else could they do?  Throw them out?  Too expensive and it kills
the profit margin for the vehicle!

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Linda Grunthaner
<grunthaner at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well this now makes sense to me and I am sure many other Spridgeteers : )
> Lin
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Brad Fornal <tequila.brad at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I know I have oft times been told that the chrome strip on our 68
> > isn't factory, yet when we stripped the stick off trim off the car, as
> > well as the paint, the holes for the clips WERE there. I went back
> > with the strip, as it appeared to me that it was a factory option.
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > List,
> > > I was procrastinating shoveling the near 24" of snow in my driveway
> (got
> > > home via train at 10 PM) and saw this Sprite lost in the salvage
> section
> > of
> > > eBay. BTW if you read the Q & A it runs and has a clean title, good
> deal
> > : )
> > >
> > > Looking at the ads the owner provided it appears Austin Healey offered
> > wire
> > > wheels and the chrome strips for the MKIII Sprite which the Midget had
> am
> > > wrong on this or is it true? Also does this ad also mean both the wire
> > > wheels and chrome strip were not offered on the MKII Sprite?
> > > Advertisement:
> > > http://www.spriteparts.com.au/user/cimage/wirewheels.jpg
> > >
> > > eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-Austin-Healey-Sprite-Convertible-stick-sh
ift_W0QQitemZ290382423760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSalvage_Parts_Cars?hash=item439c2
426d0

> > > Lin
> > >

> > --
> > DON JULIO 1942
> >
> > www.myspace.com/tequilabrad

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein