[Spridgets] My students high school project for the Spritdget...comments needed.

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:50:54 MST 2009

List,
I have 2 students who may be using one of our Spridget problems for their
senior project, "pulling the hood support rod off the hood".  My students
project is due on January 21st and needs to be documented as a real problem,
as well as have tested the solution repeatedly. Being their first problem to
solve for their senior design project may not be completed on time they will
need a new problem so I gave them the problem that I know has been
documented since the first 61/62 Sprite drove out of the factory, which is
pulling the hood support rod off the hood. For those of you who have a 61/62
Square body Sprite you know what I'm talking about. Now I am not sure when
the problem was addressed or if it ever was addressed also I am not sure if
it was a problem with the Midget. If I can get some feedback that would be a
big help for these 2 kids to get the project completed and maybe benefit us
as well.

I don't know if I can do a search on the archives or if I am doing it
correctly is this (below) the right site to do a search?
http://autox.team.net/pipermail/spridgets/

I am almost sure my 1962 Motor Trends magazine article about the "New"
Sprite has a statement saying the problem exists as well but because 50% of
the senior project is documentation the kids will need more verification
that this is a "real" problem. Can I can get a bunch of you saying this is a
problem? Anyone else have an article stating it is a problem?

Lastly I am going to try and get my Sprite to school next week but with snow
on it's way I think it will be best to just locate a hood with rod for the
kids to use in the classroom. Does anyone have one in NJ/NY area that we can
pick up? I will return it when we are done with the project.
I have copied this message to my students; Alen Bale & Michael Creech
although they will not get replies unless you cc them. I will also copy this
message to them via the school email system.
allen_bale at hths.mcvsd.org,
michael_creech at hths.mcvsd.org

Thanks Linda

PS Monday is their deadline if they can't get their circuit complete for
their hand shaking cell phone charger to work they will go with the hood rod
release for the Spridget. I will keep you all posted.