[Spridgets] vibration at 35mph....and then some...

Edward Perez eap2140 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 10:49:23 MST 2009

My car is experiencing a vibration at 35mph or so. It worsens if you
try to go any faster. The mechanic's thoughts on this are that the
drive shaft is at a severe angle causing the u-joints to bind. I have a
78 Midget with a 1275 and Datsun transmission. We recently installed
the rebuilt motor (it was pulled and installed with the tranny). Has
anyone experienced anything like this? Could there be an alignment
issue with the way it was re-installed? The suggestions are to look for
a lower transmission rear mount and install wedges at the axle. I found
the 2 degree wedges at Summit and I'm wondering if I need 2 or 4
degrees. Do I need to pull the engine and trans to install a lowered
rear mount? The other thing he noted was that the yoke is bottomed out
on the rear of the transmission leaving me no play for the suspension.
Potentially causing bearing wear. My first course of action will be to
take the drive-shaft to the shop for evaluation and shortening.
Thoughts on how much I should shorten it? The U-joints are an unknown.
They flop around loosely when the drive shaft is out of the car. Not
sure if they are supposed to be firm. There is no lateral slop in them.
This is never-ending. All I want to do is drive my freakin' car.