[Spridgets] Brake conversion problem

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 11:35:22 MST 2009

Joe,

First isolate the front from the rears by disconnecting the rear line from the brass cross block
and block the hole with a bolt.   Now bleed the fronts and confirm they stay firm.
If they are OK then reconnect the rear line.

I'm beting the problems are in the rear.
Be sure to tighten up the adjusters in each drum (the little thingy that moves the shoes out towards the drum)
before you bleed the rears.  If they are too loose you'll get nowhere.  Tighten them all the
way out while you bleed then re-adjust after you are done.

It is best to also do the rear upgrade to the later dual acting pistons as well when you go to a 3/4 master.
It's a bit more work but worth the effort.  You'll need everything in the drums, rear backing plates, brake lines,
and emergency brake linkage from a later axle.

You will also need to machine of about .020 from the back edge of the drums after doing
this swap.  It is easiest to get everything by just aquiring  the whole rear axle from a later car.
This way you'll also get spare half shafts and a spare diff!