[Spridgets] alternator replacement suggestions?

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 10:44:01 MST 2009

>From my notes:

"GM alternator #7127 63amp or #7134 80amp

The large Brown wire is the main charging lead.
The smaller Brown wire measures the system voltage to tell the
 alternator how much to charge. The Brown/Yellow wire operates the
 alternator warning light, and provides the initial voltage to the
 alternator to start it charging when the engine first starts,"

Brn/Yel #1
Brn #2"

IIRC, there were slight mods necessary to make it fit, but nothing
major, maybe a little hacksaw or Dremel work.  The alternator is way
cheaper than OE replacements and puts out good power.  I ran one on my
74 with no problems.  I can highly recommend the mod if you are more
concerned with reliability and not so concerned with concours judging.
Cheers,
Derf