[Spridgets] Dashpot oil consumption

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 09:32:39 MDT 2009

Michael Rowe wrote:
> My 1275 dashpots eat oil like maple syrup.  Is this normal, or does it
> indicate a problem?
>
> When the oil gets low I have a noticeable decrease in accelleration
> and some missing. so it is clear that this engine likes to run
> richer.  Since I think the jets are set about right based on the color
> of the plugs, it makes me wonder why people put light oil in the
> dashpots, which will reduce the duration of the richening on
> accelleration.

Do not fill them all the way up to the top.
Just to the top of the piston stem inside. If you fill them all the way
up, raise the piston by hand, this will exspell any excess oil as it
will squirt out the vent hole in the black dashpot cap.
20 wt is good in the summer.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ