[Spridgets] Les Paul dies at 94

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:15:18 MDT 2009

No question about that, Billy.  ;-)  That's why I never gave up my day job!

What I was trying to say (not very well done I admit) is that one shouldn't
mistaken a great showman as also being a great guitarist. There are a few
who do both well. As I have learned in chatting with you, you are definitely
one of those. Segovia is an example of a pure guitarist. I saw him perform
twice before his death and left with my jaw on my chest both times. All he
did was sit in a chair by himself and procede to burn the stage down
musically. Django and Barney Kessel are others of that ilk.

As you might guess I'm not much on rock music. Pyrotechnics, light shows,
distorted sound..etc  are showmanship. Unfortunately neophites accept them
as musical talent lionising guitar players in such bands - many of whom
wouldn't amount to much without the show.

Okay, down off my soap box....

Cheers!!
Jim