[Spridgets] 1500 Tuning Questions

Richard Ball richb at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 11 15:37:56 MDT 2009

I've got a couple 1500 tuning questions but first some background so you know
what I'm working with.

The car is a '76 Midget running the stock 1500 and Zenith Stromberg carburetor
with the exception that the previous owner had striped off all the smog
control equipment.  The PO had also installed a Lumanition electronic ignition
system that mounts in the stock distributor.  I would assume this was to
replace a failed Lucas OPUS system that the car came with.  I have completely
rebuilt the carb and the water choke. Resurfaced the choke to carb mounting
face to remove some cupping, and replaced the O-ring that seals the needle
holder to the bottom of the dash pot.  It has new plugs, but I have not
replaced the cap, rotor, or wires yet.  They looked unused.  It runs
surprisingly well for a car that has sat as long as it did, but there are two
tuning issues I would like to address.

Timing
When I set the timing to the factory spec of 2 ATDC the engine ran extremely
hot.  Bill M suggested that this might be due to the smog equipment having
been removed.  I now have it set to the non-emissions UK market spec of 10
BTDC and it runs better  and much cooler.  So here's the question.  Is this
where I should leave it or does someone have experience with another setting
they would like to share?

Carburetor
The car seems to hesitate at higher RPM's which would lead me to believe that
it's running lean.  I thought I was pretty carful when I set the float level,
but I may have set it off.  If I have it set right and am running still
running lean how much should I raise the float level from the normal setting
to correct for this.  This carb is a PITA to fit and remove, so I'd rather not
go with trial and error if I can help it.

Any suggestion?

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA