[Spridgets] Pull the tranny or not? Opinions wanted

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 19:43:59 MDT 2009

I have done it both ways many times.
I know I will NEVER pull out a 5 speed with the engine.
There are pros and cons each way.
Lining up the input shaft/clutch is about the toughest part of replacing
the engine only.
It's about as bad as lining up the drive shaft if you are putting the
whole thing back.
You can leave the slave attached and will not have to bleed it, that is
a big plus, but I have also pulled trannys and kept the slave attached
to the pipe and never had to bleed it.
We damaged the new rear tranny seal on the Holy Sprite by installing the
drive shaft, I had to replace it as it had a chuck knicked out of it.
That was the first time I saw that, modern rubber? I don't know but the
seal was new and leaked from day one, it had a chuck out of it I assume
from when the d/shaft went in.
It is much easier to pull just the engine on a square body. And if you
want pull the tranny afterwards, it fits out the hole a little better.
The tranny is light enough to just unbolt, grab and pull out by hand as
you stand in the engine bay.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ