[Spridgets] Truck bed liner

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:08:17 MDT 2009

The only danger I can see in using the RhinoLiner as undercoat is that even
the slightest amount of rust or moisture sealed in by the RhinoLiner will
continue.  I have seen this with other sealants. Unless your metal is
completely rust free (very unlikely) the rust process will continue
regardless of you having covered it up.

I restore old motorcycles for fun. Even powder coating can do this. Not long
ago I saw a frame that had been powder coated with either some rust or
moisture still in the pores of the metal underneath. Eventually (about 15
years in this case) the frame tube rusted through underneath the powder
coat!  One day in a corner, the frame crumpled causing a wreck. Examination
afterward showed places where the powder coat would flake away leaving a
very rusty spot on the frame underneath.

Point is, you can "over-seal".  I'd make sure I had a good primer and paint
job on the metal before the RhinoLiner.  The various rust converters on the
market are a better bet IMHO.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Mark A. O'Neil
<mark.a.oneil at dartmouth.edu>wrote:

> A few years ago a buddy of mine painted a truck with RhinoLiner (bed
> and body, over and under) and it is still holding the truck together
> to this day! Durable stuff.
>
> Two years ago I used Eastwood Co. rust convert and encapsulator on the
> floors of the midget after wire grinding the surface rust off. I keep
> an eye out for the return of rust, but have seen none to date.
>
> -m
>
> On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:00 PM, spridgets-request at autox.team.net wrote:
>
> > My son and I have put RhinoLiner on as undercoating to our 73 Midget.
> > It looks great and I think it is going to be a super undercoating.  We
> > haven't finished the car so I don't have any real life road
> > experience,
> > but if it's as tough as they claim it will last a long time.

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein