[Spridgets] Fuel or Electrical - I think it's fuel need help

James Gruber thistle_3619 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 15:07:49 MDT 2009

I posed this question on BCF as well .

Problem happened again this afternoon:

Temps mid 60's, started Bugsy up and drove 2+ miles down to the bank. As I go
to pull in driveway to the bank, engine starts running rough and within
several seconds decides to completely crap out and quit. I rolled into the
bank parking lot and stopped and immediately got out to check if tank was
suffering from vacumn issues. No telltale whoosh when gas cap was loosened. Ok
there goes that theory that vent hole in cap may be plugged..

I came out from bank and restarted Bugsy. Fired right up, sounds great, and I
go maybe a mile down the road on another errand. Coming up to a stop light I
notice the engine starting to misfire again like it's running out of gas. I
pulled the choke out and pushed in immediately back in and sputtering went
away.

A fellow lister wrote to me speculating about possible carb icing issues that
might be happening. The fact that problem corrected itself immediately when I
pulled on the choke leads me to believe there is some possibility of this
happening.And carb icing would be disipated and correct itself automatically
just from internal engine heat. Filter bases are on properly with extra hole
lined up properly.

Only change to Bugsy lately has been changing from standard filter setup, to a
stock filter base only with a filter and plate to hole the filter on with
stock bolts. Issue seems to go away once car is fully warmed up and I can
leave choke all of the way off. This setup allows substantially more airflow
to the carbs and I would assume leans out the mixture a lot. I can see where
pulling the choke cable on/off would temporarily richen the mixture. I have
not tried tuning the carbs yet as Bugsy seems to be running real well other
than when he decides to simply die on me.

Anyone run into this before. Other than changing the filter setup and fixing
throttle linkage, broken cable, nothing has been done to the engine. This one
is really strange and a little bit disconcerting.

PS I suspected a bad fuel filter but Bugsy does not have one installed.

Could be a wiring connection at the fuel pump but when this started to act up
pulling on the choke made it go away right now. Therefore I suspect some sort
of fuel delivery issue.

Bugsy by the way is running absolutely sweet other than this intermittent
issue. I have not had on the road long enough to see if problem occurs once
car is fully warmed up.