[Spridgets] Gun Laws in England

JLC breton48 at live.com
Mon Apr 20 14:49:04 MDT 2009

Kirk wrote: How does the Govt know that they have  cleared all the guns from
people?

It seems like it would take a  lot of work to track down all the legal gun
owners and remove their  guns.

No, not in the UK. All the legal firearms are recorded, the UK police has
all details, and the right to inspect your firearms and your security
arrangements at will. I had a Firearms Certificate in the UK from 1976 till
I left England for the USA in 1990. The certificate had the details of every
gun I owned, and I even had to register all the ammo I was buying on the
certificate - the most ammo I could buy/hold at any time was 1000 rounds
total. Before  could buy a gun, I had to apply for a variation on my
certificate with the exact gun and caliber I was going to buy, and a valid
reason for the purchase (for example, shooting in 22 LR rifle club
competitions). Self defense was not a valid reason, it had to be a "sporting
purpose". I think I even had to find the gun and give the police the serial
number before I could have it "on ticket" and buy it. The police told me I
could not have two weapons of the same caliber, and I was told several times
that I had too many guns. I think the limit set by the local police was 6 or
8 guns in any case. Staffordshire police was easy to live with as a Firearms
certificate holder, Derbyshire police was another story. When I moved from
Staffordshire to Derbyshire, the first time the police inspected my house
for firearms and security, they made it clear that as a teacher, I should
not have firearms, and stopped short of calling me crazy for having them.
They were trying to get me to give up my guns till I threatened to lawyer
up. When I moved from Derbyshire to East Anglia, I found the police there
much more cooperative and had no trouble with my firearms or security
arrangements.

When I left the UK, I had six guns. I imported them to the US with the
relevant BATF paperwork - I still have them.

I had to surrender a Mini 14 to the police before I left England, as that
was one of the weapons being banned at the time. If my memory serves me
right, I received a letter from the police, and a visit to my house from the
local constabulary to make sure I was going to comply with the ban order. I
did receive payment for the surrendered rifle (I had insurance to prove
value), I don't think they did that when they banned handguns.

JLC, Federal Firearms License and Concealed Carry Weapon permit holder in
Colorado.