[Spridgets] Go Figure

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 20:22:02 MDT 2009

Maybe some one can 'splain this to me.
Ladybug had a major clutch issue (hydraulic) during the rebuild.
3 master cylinders later and I gave up and just installed a longer slave
push rod.
Stock correct 1275 rod should be 2-11/16" which I had, new. It just
didn't work and I would loose pressure in an hour.
So I put in a 3" (home made) slave rod and all was fine for a week or so.
Now that the car has been used for a weekend, the shifting was hard,
clutch was over throwing. I tried to tell Tiffany to try and NOT puch
the pedal to the floor, She didn't understand the concept but when I
drove it and pushed the clutch 3/4 of the way, it shifted fine, no
overthrow noises and all was fine.
So I installed the stock pin back in the slave. The clutch is perfect now!
Go figure.
How? Why? There was NO AIR in my hydraulic system as I had a clear tube
running from the slave to the master and watched as I pumped for over 30
minutes.
And if I had air, where did it go?
It works perfect now but I would like to know what the hell was the
reason for all the aggravation.
Now all I have to do is powdercoat another wheel to replace the bend
wheel and I'll be 100% on this car.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ