[Spridgets] Pretty in zinc part 3

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 22:36:34 MDT 2009

Cont'd...

5) Now add 80 grams of Boric acid to the gallon solution.  (you can get it at the grocery or dollar store as roach killer)
    I am told this is a "ph stabilizer"

6) Add a little generic anti-freeze (ethylene glycol type).  No more than 5% of the total solution.  This acts as
    a surfactant (wetting agent).   This prevents the little hydrogen bubbles from clinging to the article during plating.
    Note,  I tried Redline Water Wetter, but it has too much silicone additive in it, which separates out of
    solution (although it did work well as a wetting agent)

7) I have not tried the following, but according to US patent 3,920,528...
    Pyridine-3-acetic acid can be added (5 grams/liter) to act as a "Brightener".
    This place sells it.  http://www.frontiersci.com/detail.php?FSIcat=P10095
    If you try this let me know how it works.

8) It is a good idea to place a few zinc shavings into the plating solution jug.
    The solution is forever hungry for zinc.  The cap should be placed on loosely
    to allow gas to escape .   Best to store it out in the garden shed.

This completes the plating solution recipe.  Next up is the actual plating process.