[Spridgets] Ignorance is bliss

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 13 20:05:56 MDT 2009

Vizard's book addresses the bypass hose on page 501 under "Thermostats".
The bypass hose is actually called the "thermostat bypass hose".  It
connects the water jacket adjacent to the thermostat to the water pump.  It
was fitted to A series engines up to the early 80s.  Vizard calls the bypass
hose a nuisance and the hole in the pump and the hole in the head should be
plugged.  He says then drill two 1/4 inch holes in the thermostat to prevent
overheating in the event the thermostat gets stuck closed.