[Spridgets] Carb Cleaner

jomar healey ah53 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 15:42:58 MDT 2009

This is off of the Corvette Forum.  Though the body of a vette is plastic the
rest is metal.  I have not tried the ATF/acetone formula but if all else has
failed it's worth a low cost shot.

The
April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of
penetrating
oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty
test devices. Buy
the issue if you want to see how they did the test.
The results reported were
interesting. The lower the number of pounds
the better. Mighty interesting
results for simple acetone and tranny
fluid!

Penetrating oil .. Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ................. 516 pounds ..

WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25

PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35

Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21

Kano Kroil ......... 106 pounds .. $0.75

ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio).

Joe from The Dark Side