[Spridgets] rusty bits

fastvee fastvee at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 06:05:55 MDT 2009

I found this bit of research interesting. Copied from the FV forum.
John
Fogelsville, PA

Bustin' loose

Postby Rickydel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am
jaymzz said in a different topic regarding rusted bolts/screws:

    jaymzz wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I have been spraying them monthly with pbblaster. I have loosened all the fender bolts so far. The only major problem I know of is the brakes are all locked up solid. I torched them, used pbbalster, BIG hammer, etc and they won't budge. I took off the nuts holding all 4 brake drums off and still can't get them to move. So I just keep spraying them hoping one of these days I can get them freed up enough to push it into a better spot. Tired of people stopping by asking me if I will sell it. I can't move it behind the garage in the gravel with the tires locked up. I put a tarp over the front of it to disguise what it is, and I think people have xray vision because they still stop and ask me if it is for sale.

This morning I received this info from John Gaither who got it from Harry Ingle.

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

*Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test.*
**
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with
the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.*
**
*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *
**
*Your experience may vary, etc., etc.*