[Spridgets] 1275 starter

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Thu Apr 9 20:08:31 MDT 2009

Jim F. wrote:
> Continuid...
>
> The used starter that I bought for a 71 MG Midget  from a pretty good E-Bay
> contact has a cracked Bendix and I'm trying to locate just the bendix gear.
> Moss Motors calls it a pinion and sleeve. Question: Moss offers this piece for
> 2 different starters. 1 is for a # 25022 and the other is for #'s 25079 --
> 25149. What is the difference. My starter has no such numbers on it?

There were 2 different starters, the early one has a band around the
brushes at the back end and very early bendix's
came off with a nut.
Later starters are a little shorter, no band around the brushes as these
has brushes on the back plate, not around the tail.
And the bendix assembly is held on by a split ring around the nose piece.
I do not know the numbers on the starters.
I do have a bendix off a starter that you can have but it's off because
the spring or teeth may be shot.
I don't think it's cracked though.
I can look for it tomorrow and send it your way if you want it.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ