[Spridgets] Ladybug seized up

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 21:02:05 MDT 2009

So after the third clutch master, I finally have a working clutch in the
Ladybug.
I zipped around the block to test it and handed it over to my daughter
to try it out.
I said "Don't go far" and 20 minutes later she comes pushing the car
home saying it ran out of gas.
Well I put 3 gallons in it and it has maybe 4 miles on it now. There is
no way it ran out of gas.
Fuel pump is clicking but it will not crank over, sort of like a stuck
starter.
Rocking the car made NO movement or starter kick out. Neutral the car rolls.
 few guys stopped over tonight so we popped out the starter, it was fine
but I could not lever the flywheel very easy.
Something was holding the engine back. The starter would budge it but
not turn it over.
Pulled the plugs and it was still extremely hard to pry over with a crowbar.
This is a fresh rebuilt engine that seemed OK when it first fired up
this weekend.
We did drive it yesterday even with a funky clutch but it ran great.
Tonight Tiffany blows it up!
After a few beers, the guys and I tried prying it over again, it moved
easier so we put the starter back it and it fired up and ran perfect.
We let it run for a solid 1/2 hour and kept switching it off and
starting it up again. No problem.
My daughter says it "worked itself out" But I know better.
What the heck happened in the first place? Clutch worked as normal. In
gear, car was locked up, depress clutch, car rolled.
Even now, the clutch works normally. The car starts and runs fine.
Why did it seize up but only when SHE took it for a spin by herself?
How does a seized engine fix itself all by itself?

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ