[Spridgets] possible new threat to fuel system components

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:16:47 MDT 2009

> Just a heads-up, based upon a post on 356 Talk:  One of the country's
> preeminent Porsche restorers encountered failure of three different fuel
> system gaskets, on a 356A.  The gaskets were NEW, and came from Porsche,
via
> one of their dealers.
> Right now, not much more information is available.  It may be identified as
> credible threat, or it may be due to some anomaly.  It could have been, as
one
> subscriber suggested, E-85 in the wrong gas station tank (can E-85 do such
> things.....I really don't know).  The only thing for certain, right now, is
> that the gaskets were from NEW stock, from a major manufacturer, and were
NOT
> Chinese-made, pressed yak dung gaskets.

I know that ethanol attacks aluminum. In countries like Brazil who
frequently jack up the ethanol in the gasohol to the point where you
cannot smell the gasoline component, aluminum fuel system components
get nickel-plated. Gasket material, OTOH, I haven't seen a problem
with, although rubber can be an issue.
David Lieb