[Spridgets] Gas leak and shocks update

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 23:04:43 MDT 2008

Hi Folks,

After two weeks of being held prisoner in the garage while work was
being done on the driveway I finally got the Sprite out today.
Thanks for all of the suggestions on the gas smells.  Here is the
update.

Float levels - - are OK

Fuel air mixture - - is OK

Fuel lines - - are OK

Gas tank seals - - are OK

Removed the new air filters and went for a drive - - at higher speeds
there was still a smell but it was hard to tell if it was fuel or
hot  oil - - just not strong enough to be sure but there is a oil
leak to be tracked down now.  The new air filters were foam
replacements for my hardware and had to pushed into the half sphere
holders.  I think that they restricted the air flow effectively
choking the carbs so they were running to rich. Had lower the idle
after removing the air filters.  Different air filters are on the way.

Also had time to push the Bilstien conversion a bit harder.  What a
nice ride.  Pushing the corners is more like driving the Miata - -
you are waiting for the tires to let go rather than hanging on to the
steering wheel while the suspension does a jig.  If it wasn't for the
grooves on the interstate switching you back and forth that would be
a really nice ride also.  Think I will stay with the conversion.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition