[Spridgets] ELVF this weekend

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 22:29:58 MDT 2008

The weekend started horribly with the tragic death of Dr. Surjit Hermon in his Westfield Lotus Eleven on Friday, but I think everyone had as good a weekend as possible, especially the Spridget people. Special thanks to WST for his efforts in the 50th Spridget celebration. His big band sounded great last night, and the re-enactment of the original road course through Elkhart was a lot of fun with WST's original time capsule Bugeye race car driven by Peter Egan leading the way. I had the best race I can remember dicing with John Salisbury, one the SCCA guys who ran with us, and Dan Parsons and his horsepower machine. It was WST's idea to allow the current SCCA cars run with us, and it was a nice twist. John Salisbury Sr. commented to me that he hadn't seen as great a Sprite race in 20 years. In that Spridget only race, the three of us finished within nine 1/100ths of a second. Just incredible fun. Crash, your ex car / Lieb's was passing by when were taking
group photos with Peter Egan and we flagged David down, so look for it in Road and Track!

Thanks to all who came out, especially Larry Daniels and Peter C. as always for the support. Except for a distributor that popped out in practice, White Trash ran like a Timex all weekend.

Ron