[Spridgets] When does it become restored?

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Thu Sep 18 23:29:49 MDT 2008

Rust free means no visible rust through or bubbling on any body panel AND
never having needed any repair to remedy prior rust damage.  Bare cast iron,
like suspension parts, hubs, etc can have surface flash and oxidation and I
wouldn't consider them rusty.  Interior floor boards can have surface
oxidation, and I would call that surface rust, but still consider the car
cancer free.  Areas that are for all intents and purposes sealed, and
unexposed are obviously not subject to inspection.  I drive a rust free 1974
Midget from California.  It has NEVER had any panel replaced due to rust
damage, it has NEVER had any metal replaced due to rust through, it has the
original floor boards, rockers, doors, and sills.  (Ok, I replaced the
battery tray but battery acid is a little different story).  Some parts have
been repaired and replaced due to accident damage, not rust.  I have a 1970
Ford Torino same story.  California all of its life.  Soda blasted it to
bare metal, NO RUST.  1963 Falcon.  4 pinholes of rust starting behind the
left rear fender.  No salt air, no snow, no ice, NO RUST. Central California
where the cars don't rust.

Use of the word restored requires a follow up question or qualifying phrase,
like:
restored to be like the one I had in highschool
restored to factory specifications
cosmetically restored
mechanically restored
restored to the way I remembered it.
restored to a condition far more detailed than ever existed

David R.