[Spridgets] Wheel hub pulling

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 22:21:22 MDT 2008

Monty,

Before pulling the rotors off of the hubs, knock the broken studs out and
try to wiggle the new ones into place. It has been a long time but I seem to
remember that it is possible to replace the studs with the rotor on the hub.
If you can get the new ones up through the holes just put a spacer on the
stud and then pull them into place with the lug nut.

If that doesn't work:

Remove the bolts that hold the rotor onto the hub. They are funny looking
with slots cut in them. Find a suitable rest for the assembly. You want to
support the rotor with the hub hanging down below it but off the ground. I
usually use two cinder blocks with a 2 x 4 on the edge of each to support
the rotor. Choose (wisely) a long reach socket of the correct size to set on
the rim of the hub. Hold the socket so that the end that normally attaches
to a ratchet is the end that you will be striking. The open end goes against
the hub rim... Using a BFH (I recommend a 2 lb sledge) smack the socket
sharply and repeatedly until the rotor is free of the hub. If it is really,
really stuck you might put a piece of wood between the socket and the hammer
during the smacking process to avoid damage to the socket. I use one of my
black air impact sockets for this gentle procedure and have not ruined one
yet. Paul A. can testify to a large number of hubs that I have separated
from the rotors!

Also note that, technically speaking, you should replace the weird bolts
that hold the rotors to the hubs. Even though I have never seen one fail, I
have seen them fall out. If you reuse them put some Lock-tite on them... I
assume no liability and do not advocate the circumvention of accepted
technical standards that apply to our little cars and am in no way
responsible for the use or misuse of the information that I have provided!
Your mileage may vary, all rights reserved, conditions may apply, see dealer
for details, EPA mileage is purely a guess, NFI, etc.!

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye