[Spridgets] Bad Paint?

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 23:13:41 MDT 2008

In 1984 I bought an early-production first year Honda CRX - my first new car.
Within a few weeks of getting the car, my wife dripped a little bit of
gas while filling the tank, which ran down the side and onto the plastic
bottom half of the car (remember these cars were all either red, white or
blue, and had a silver bottom half all the way around).  The silver paint
under the filler door bubbled up almost immediately.

We went through a long, progressively uglier experience of multiple paint jobs
by the dealership bodyshop which never solved the situation.  I eventually got
so mad at them that I went to the lot one afternoon with a screw driver and
swapped my crappily painted panel for one on a new car in the lot... There's a
much longer and funnier version of the tale which I won't bore everybody with,
but the end result was that the new panel never bubbled. I don't know whether
we were more careful with the gas after that or the cars after the initially
imported batch were painted better.  Either way - I can testify that gasoline
can bubble some paint jobs.

 - David
'71 Midget
Long Island