[Spridgets] Metric bolts?

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Thu Sep 11 10:13:03 MDT 2008

Frank Clarisi Said:
> They should be 5/16 x 24 thread.

Michael Rowe Replies:
Paraphrasing Galileo to the Catholic Church, "And yet, they are not."
I went to the hardware store and again tried every hole in the thread
tester.   I tried a 5/16x24 bolt.  They do not fit.  The only think that
fits is a 7mm x 1.25 STD thread bolt, with an easy, maybe slightly loose
fit.  I still have the break-away bolts; they are not some substitution
forced into the assembly unless someone got some other size of break-away
bolts.

Ed the carmudgeon said:
>>or MIGHT actually be one of the VERY FEW
>>Whitworth or British Standard threaded places.

So guys and gals, are Whitworth or British Standard threads close enough to
make a 7 mm x 1.25 bolt fit loosely?  How do I get points for being right
for the first time ever on this list?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
Long Island, NY