[Spridgets] Spa Video

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:44:20 MDT 2008

John,

I am a Formula 1 junkie who got up early to watch the race live on Speed.
It is a very tough call by the stewards. Of course it makes no difference
now for Raikonnen. More tough luck for the Kimster... First Hamilton
nails him at the pit lane exit, then an engine lets go while leading at the
end of a race and now this.  We shall see how the McLaren appeal goes...

Otherwise, however, the race was incredible as has been the entire
season this year and last year!  Spa is one of my very favorite tracks and
its basic configuration hasn't changed a great deal since the olden days!
Eau Rouge remains one of my all time favorite corners even after some
modifications and the newer Pouhon appears to be a reverse camber
SOB to get right!  We ran a Formula Ford on this track back in 1968
when Bruce McLaren won the F1 race. I loved driving it - even as a
back marker ;-(

Cheers!!
Jim

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:10 AM, John Caffrey <jdc6 at lehigh.edu> wrote:

> No, not what you were thinking! One of the closest F1 races in recent
> memory, at one of the best tracks in the world, with the weather playing
> a role in the finish, and controversy to boot. I learned the next day
> that the stewards had penalized the winner 25 seconds which moved him
> back 2 positions and has the driver's championship down to a 2 point
> spread. Almost everyone believes the stewards got it wrong, and I was of
> the same mind until watching the replay. Lewis Hamilton attempted a low
> percentage pass at the chicane which was well defended, and he took the
> escape road and came out ahead. You cannot gain an advantage by skipping
> part of the track and he immediately returned the position, and then
> passed Kimi at the next corner. My belief is that had he followed Kimi
> through the chicane he could not have out maintained the momentum to get
> inside for the pass.  See if you can agree with the stewards decision,
> and it is currently under appeal by McClaren. Great in-car video.
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWNN5W_B-Zk
> John
> Fogelsville, PA

Cheers!!