[Spridgets] 948 vs 1275

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 9 13:46:51 MDT 2008

Last weekend I hauled the 1275 out of the Austin A35 and put back the original
948cc.  I told my wife I was going to make Davis' only 50 year old Prius.
Driving it to work for the last two days makes me wonder what I was thinking
when I swapped it out.  The little 948 is smooth, quiet and VERY fuel
efficient.  Of course, I now have to push on the gas and patiently await the
response.  Getting  on the freeway is a very casual affair, taking the entire
on-ramp and a bit more to get to anything like freeway speed.  Still, since I
had the motor dynamically balanced years ago, the smoothness is nice.  The
much reduced HP actually goes better with the car's looks.  I also pulled the
lowering kit and brought it back up to its original ride height.  From a
snarling little wolf-in-sheeps-clothing to a staid little grocery
getter.....oh well, everybody needs groceries.

Conveniently, I now have a 1275 avialable for the Morris truck that is taking
shape next to the garage.  To that end, does anyone have a friend with a parts
Morris?  I still need one or two little things to make it complete.

Regards,
Glen Byrns