[Spridgets] 155sr-13 tires

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 22:46:31 MDT 2008

Nobody understands tire aging more than a motorcyclist. The important thing
is the sidewalls and lips.  There is a thing called "weather checking" which
occurs. By the time it is visible you have already been skating on thin ice
for a while. It is not a matter of tread wear, but rather the condition of
the tire carcass. The problem is not loss of traction but chances of a
sidewall blowout. This happens on a car - squirrel...  This happens on a
bike - funeral.

Five years max as Ed said. After that the carcass becomes unsafe to lateral
stresses, bumps, braking and acceleration. No more expensive than they are,
change your tires at 5 years even if you have zero miles on them. I'm unsure
how fast they would deteriorate in a climate controlled garage, but most of
us put tires through the freeze, heat cycle and that is what does the
damage.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Frank Clarici <spritenut at comcast.net> wrote:

> Charley Braum wrote:
> >     "They are STILL dangerous after their 5th 'birthday'"
> >
> >     Is there documented proof that 5 year old tires are going to explode,
> > delaminate, separate the tread, fall off the wheel or perform some other
> > destructive operation at that time limitation?
> >

> I know the 5 year old tires on my 59 were a real mess on the way out to
> Carlisle this year.
> Of course it was raining as usual on the PA Pike at night. The 58 was in
> front of me and he had no problems with his 1 year old tires.
> I bought new tires for the trip to MO and they made a world of difference.
> Both cars are garaged.
> My A40 had 8 or 9 year old tires on it, Tread was still fine, maybe
> 10,000 miles on the tires at best.
> I put new tires on it (skinnier) and again, a world of difference.
> Tires for our little cars are cheap, don't get 80,000 mile tread life
> tires unless you are putting 20,000 miles a year on it.
> Stock tires are $100 a set, that's $20 a year for tires.
> Along these lines, also replace the rubber brake hoses every 10 years no
> matter what.
> If you bought new ones in 1998 and never finished the restoration, throw
> them out NOW and buy new ones.
> Hoses are dated these days, dating started in the mid 70s or so. The
> Holy Sprite had new brake hoses on it dated 1976, they looked perfect
> and the car has not seen the road since 1978, We cut them and tossed them.
> The last thing you want is a popped brake hose on the freeway during a
> panic stop. You don't even want to experience this
> going down your driveway into the street.
>

> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ

Cheers!!