[Spridgets] calculating speed

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 21:30:10 MDT 2008

I disagree.  A tire does grow in diameter as a function of the square of its rotational speed.
The steel belt limits this, but not as much as you think.  Basically the sidewalls move inward
and the center of the tread goes outward.

The growth is not much, but it is enough to impact the final drive/rpm calculation.

Tire Growth Factor = 0.000100 (Inches/(MPH*MPH))

so for 50 mph  0.0001(50*50) = 1/4 inch increase in diameter.

The above formula is probably generic, different tires probably behave a little different,
but they will all grow with the square of the rpms.