[Spridgets] Transmission Guru's - HELP

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:31:57 MDT 2008

I am working on a 1275 gearbox with the serial number 42148L. I
removed the side cover and found something that my manuals don't
document. On the right side of the gearbox side cover opening I find
the two springs as they should be. Below the lower spring is a cover
stud. Below that in the bottom right corner is a hole that is drilled
slightly upward to the lower selector shaft. Also someone (factory,
DPO ??) cut into that hole with a hacksaw like tool. There were no
springs or balls in the hole. I would like to know if this was
original or not and if it is, what is the function of that hole? Here's a pic:
  http://www.geocities.com/thcmtu/
Thanks!

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/