[Spridgets] 5 speed

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 21:44:50 MST 2008

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Matt Hagopian <mhagopian at hoppetool.com> wrote:
> I think we are just going to rebuild the ribcase tranny that
> we have. We
> already have a tilton clutch setup

Matt,
The stock ribcase will not take that kind of horsepower, nor will the stock clutch (it might on the street, but not on the track). A factory straight cut box will be close; Jeff Porasik blew one up this year with an alleged 137 HP (his car goes to the dyno in a few weeks). The Tilton setup is Tilton pressure plate and multi plate disk setup with a hydraulic throw out bearing that goes with the Richmond/Taylor/Webster setup. If you've seen what looks to be a ribcase gearbox with a hydraulic line going into the top access hole, that's a Tilton hydraulic setup. Peter C. tells me it's a Saab TO brg. The mechanical part looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soavero/2866501442/in/photostream/

(OK, so I CAN afford the clutch setup).

Be careful out there -

Ron