[Spridgets] Tires for a '78 Midget?

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Nov 20 13:13:40 MST 2008

>I know this has pobably discussed at length more than once, but I need to
>ask:  Can anyone recommend tires for a '78 Midget?  I currently have 165
>70R13 tires ("Metric Durasteel").  They are OK but probably 10 years old.
>Only one local tire shop can get anything, and that's their "house brand",
>a "Runway Enduro" which is a $34.95 special.
>
> Any ideas of what to get and how and where to get them are appreciated.

Steven,
As was suggested, Sumitomo HTR200 tires are pretty good. Tire Rack has a
good search feature and will tell you more about the tire than you really
wanted to know. Tire Rack will be delighted to ship them to your tire guy
and let him install them. Be aware that balancing is a major issue with our
lug-centric rims. Insist on being in the room when they are balanced and
watch the bottom of the rim as they spin them up on the machine to see if
there is excessive runout. If the rim is wobbling, you will find that your
car starts to shimmy as you pass 60MPH or so. Some tire balancing machines
work fine with them and some do not. Point out to them that the hole in the
center of your rims is NOT necessarily true center.
David Lieb
1972 1960 1974 1973