[Spridgets] Why I wear seatbelts...

Norm 2Bs twobees at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 18 20:41:22 MST 2008

John:

Like Bill Gilroy, I too was drinking when I busted a gut at your post.  But,
my drink was Ouzo.  So, no stains.

I've been a belt-wearer since 1960 when I raced a Chevy in NHRA.  Had one
wet-road slow-speed accident that sent my brother flying because he didn't
have a belt on.  His imprint only says "et" as he hit the last 2 digits of
"Chevrolet."  Then there was the time I saw a woman tap a car stopped in
front of her at maybe 2 mph & her daughter standing on the passenger side
hit the windshield.  Then there was the upside-down MGB in Vermont that we
picked up off the unconscious driver.  The two passengers were thrown into
snow banks (top down in winter!?!).  Don't know if the driver survived.
But, despite that one, I'm a bit of a nut about belts -- they are to be worn
all the time when the car is moving.  In fact, after 10 years of driving my
MGB with a 5-point racing harness & competition roll bar, I feel extremely
vulnerable in my Alfa that only has lap belts.  My Spridget-powered Turner
has 6-point harness & when racing I also use a Leatt brace (head & neck
restraint).  As for wearing a helmet on a bike, I don't ride bikes any more.
I did in pre-helmet law days.  When all of my friends had had spills, I
figured odds were in favor of me being next.  Gave up a Ducati for an Austin
Healey.

Cheers.

Norm Sippel