[Spridgets] Why I wear seatbelts...

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:21:46 MST 2008

David,

Not to be contentious (as you say, we've all heard the arguments ad
infinitum), but the flaw I see in your system is that by your logic, drivers
of LBCs should have to carry more insurance since we don't have side impact
protection, structural hard tops, impact absorbant bumpers, and air bags. In
fact, I may be safer riding my motorcycle with a helmet than I am driving my
Midget! It is easy to envision government do-gooders trying to legislate us
off the road completely because we pose a danger to ourselves. Back in the
1970s there actually was a federal level push to do that to motorcyclists.
Where does this stop?

The other possibility is that the insurance companies would then micromanage
coverages according to the type of seat belt/helmet or other safety features
you use. Should we heap greater liability on the person who causes the
accident regardless of how the victim protects him/herself? I hope not, but
your system suggests it might be a good idea.

Cheers!!
Jim - who wears seatbelts and helmets but realizes that driving skills are
the best defense agains accidents.