[Spridgets] Midget windshield assembly

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 11:39:23 MST 2008

Bill,

The shims are a flat metal piece with two holes in them and they go between
the windscreen mounting tangs (also having the two holes) and the body. They
adjust the windscreen position side to side as near as I can make out. I
wouldn't think they would have any effect on the fore to aft location of the
windscreen. But then, what do I know?  ;-)

I still have to finish this job on my Midget this winter so will probably be
cursing along with several others from the sound of things. The one thing I
did pick up from Colin Dodd was to take a razor blade and shave off some of
the long seal across the bottom of the windscreen at each end where it sits
upon the corner seals. Makes getting the thing back on a lot easier.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Bill L <pythias at pacifier.com> wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
>     Windshield shims... where to get 'em?
>

>      a few years back I took a rock and had the windscreen replaced.
>      ..
>
>      I took another rock this summer. I picked up a windscreen IN the
>      frame at a swap meet so all i need do is replace one frame for
>      the other. Also picked up new sealing rubber for the frame to
>      body, and the posts, ...... AND the sides to door seals..
>      BECAUSE..
>
>      i got to looking at the job the guy did a couple of years ago.
>      he must not have put the shims in (?) because he SHAVED THE SIDE
>      SEALS to get the doors to close properly. ...SO..
>
>      if the shims ARE missing, where do the go? never having taken a
>      windscreen off, i won't know where to put them even IF i had
>      them, which i probably don't.

> --
> Best regards,
>  Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com
>
>  '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"
>
>  Part-time musicians are semiconductors

Cheers!!
Jim