[Spridgets] Calcium Chloride

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 16:34:51 MST 2008

Agreed, Tim.  Great discussion of the impact of these two salts can be read
at:

http://www.chinamine.com/salt.html

Sand is by far the better way to treat roads, but it doesn't melt the snow
and ice as easily.
Most municipalities don't like to use it because they then have to clean the
road surfaces in the spring so the total cost of using sand is actually a
little higher.

Screw the citizens and their losses due to caustic salts....   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Timothy H. Collins <thcollin at mtu.edu> wrote:

> Here's what's in Starbright according to their MSDS.
>
> Calcium chloride  77-80%
> Sodium chloride   1-2%
> Potassium chloride  2-3%
> Water 15-20% (probably not "free" water but "in" the salt)
>
> Also from the MSDS
> Calcium chloride will: corrode most metals exposed to air; attack aluminum
> (and its alloys) and yellow brass (Bretherick, L., 1979, Handbook of
> Reactive Chemical Hazards, 2nd Ed).
>
> Plus that 50 lb bag you purchase and forget about in the corner of the
> garage will also be absorbing water and creating a big mess. As I think
> about it, I don't want this stuff in my garage or car or boat or on the
> road.
>

> Tim Collins
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/_______________________________________________
>
> You are subscribed as bmwwxman at gmail.com