[Spridgets] selling a car and getting paid.

John Kuzman jjkan5 at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 17:29:06 MDT 2008

Mike,

  While perhaps not the least expensive method, you could utilize an attorney on either end to serve as an escrow agent. Have them draw up a simple escrow agreement between the buyer, the escrow agent and you. The buyer pays the escrow agent and when the cash is in the escrow account, you ship the car and send the title to the escrow agent. The agent then distributes the cash to you and the title to the buyer.

  John

Mike Rambour <mikey at b2systems.com> wrote:
  Not entirely Spridget related but it will give me the space to work on
my Spridget powered Singer Le Mans so partially on topic. I have put my
1953 Singer 4AD for sale (after owning it 34 years, it was hard to do)
and have received a offer from a gentleman in Virginia. I am in S.
Calif (see the problem?).

I live on the web and I see all the scams about garbage checks, checks
for more than the sale price, etc. This guy has NOT made any of those
suggestions yet and he has been actively looking for a Singer for quite
a few months, so I am fairly sure he is legit but I am still worried.
We have not even talked on the phone yet, just e-mail and several e-mail
address at that, all of them anonymous type Yahoo e-mails.

He wants me to ship the car to him, we have not yet discussed how to
transfer the money as I am not sure how to safely do it. I would fully
understand his concerns if I said, send me the money and after I am
positive it was a valid check in a few weeks I will ship the car (I
would walk if I was him). I have heard where the shipping company
swapped cars for checks so that its all done at the same time but then
how do I confirm the check is good ? I was thinking of having him wire
the money to my account on the day that the shipper is supposed to pick
up the car, but that means he has to trust me somewhat (I am
trustworthy:) ) as I would have the money prior to the shipper having
the car. He does know that I am the past President of the Singer Owners
Club and the current webmaster for the club so its not like I am a
anonymous person on the net but he certainly is anonymous to me at this
time. Ebay has been suggested where I put the car on ebay with the
proper buy-it now price and make sure he knows it at the proper time and
buys it but even that is a unknown.

So you guys buy and sell cars all the time, how do you do it ?

mike

p.s. I got my license in 1974 and I have NEVER sold a car before, traded
2 in when I bought new ones but never sold a car (that may be why there
are 9 cars at my house, I need the space! ) so this is all new to me.
You are subscribed as jjkan5 at yahoo.com

http://www.team.net/archive