[Spridgets] Exxon Valdez is in remission!

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:41:06 MDT 2008

Well, the oil leak problem is somewhat solved now.  As Frank suspected, it
appears to have been due to too much crankcase pressure. I pulled the hose
from the cannister off of the PCV valve and the leak abruptly stopped!

Now I have to figure out how to balance the pressure between the suction
from my Titan manifold and HIF44 and the crankcase pressure. I tried just
connecting the hose from the cannister on the timing cover directly to the
manifold with no PCV.  Wow!  I think it sucked about a pint of oil through
the system and I managed to fog off all the mosquitoes in the neighborhood!

It runs smoke free with the vent hose pulled loose from the PCV valve on the
manifold. When set up this way, I put my hand over the oil filler and there
is pretty neutral pressure. Trouble is, the vent hose does put out a little
oil smoke/mist into the engine compartment.

I talked with Frank a little last night trying to figure this out, but I am
still confused.  My valve cover doesn't have a vent tube on it. If it did,
I'm not sure I know what to connect where and what do I do with the vent
hose? Even though its not very much oil smoke, I can't let it continue to
blow it around inside ofthe engine compartment.

Any ideas on how to rig this up gratefully accepted!  I only have a few
weeks let before Lake of the Ozarks so it needs to get fixed quick so I can
tackle other issues.
--
Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City