[Spridgets] midget engine removal

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:33:20 MDT 2008

A great list which will go in my "keeper" file. Having done this several
times without benefit of this sort of input I can now see a number of things
I wasn't doing that will make the job MUCH easier next time!!

You also wrote:
"assembly is the reverse of above procedure"

And THAT is where I usually get into trouble!!   ;-)  That phrase fits right
in there with the words "intuitive" and "obvious".  For someone else,
maybe....

Cheers!!
Jim
Only 12 days to get your "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks at
the $50 price!!  Only 4 weeks before the big event!!  Don't miss it!

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Dave G. <dmg at bossig.com> wrote:

> If anybody is interested... I've taken all suggestions sent to the list and
> made them into a list
> for Marc (and whoever else needs them).
> Any omissions, errors, corrections needed??
>
> Spridget Engine removal...
>
> 1.   (Optional) Scribe around bonnet hinges
> 2.   (Optional) remove bonnet
> 3.   disconnect and remove Battery
> 4.   disconnect ground strap
> 5.   drain coolant
> 6.   drain engine oil
> 7.   drain transmission oil
> 8.   remove oil filter
> 9.   disconnect drive shaft (from rear??)
> 10. remove radiator
> 11. disconnect carburettors *with* manifold
> 12. disconnect exhaust manifold
> 13. remove gearshift lever
> 14. jack up car and unbolt transmission mounts
> 15. disconnect speedo and reverse light switch
> 16. disconnect clutch hydraulics
> 17. remove rocker cover, connect lift chains to rocker cover studs
> 18. take up slack in chains
> 19. lift engine ~3/4"
> 20. disconnect driver side eng.mount bracket from rubber pad.
> 21. disconnect pass. side entire mount from chassis.
> 22. unbolt motor mounts
> 23. finesse engine out...
>
> Optional items to do while it's out
>
> a)  put engine on stand, flip it over, replace pan gasket and seals
> b)  replace side cover gaskets - if fitted
> c)  install new clutch kit (disk, plate, bearing)
> d)  bolt on rebuilt transmission
>
> "assembly is the reverse of above procedure"
>
> --
> Dave G.   KK7SS
> '65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA
> "Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."
>    Terry Pratchett, 'Hogfather'

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City
Don't miss "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!

For info and registration... <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>