[Spridgets] Engine stand for rebuilding..

Bob Spruck mgmaven at bellsouth.net
Fri May 16 16:00:34 MDT 2008

I had a bad experience (a really bad experience!) lifting the 1275 out of
my ' 67 by the recommended rocker arm studs. Yes, the special hardened ARP
stud broke and the engine dropped tailshaft between the chassis rails and
oil pan onto the panel where the hood latch latches. No damage was done
except to the stud, the panel, and my garage floor (big chip).

So, in my inimitable fashion, I over engineered a solution. I use a piece
of angle iron that attaches to the manifold studs on one side and
fabricated an "H" shaped bracket from 1" square tubing that attaches to the
rear alternator bosses near the distributor.  A welded tab on each bracket
is located across from each other so that the engine is balanced and can be
tilted easily to get around the battery shelf and the front cross member. (
I usually pull the transmission with the engine and have partially removed
part of the heater plenum. Did I mention this is a vintage race car and I
don't need the heater?) The "H" bracket has holes that match up to my cheap
engine stand, so I can bolt it up right from the engine lift. This means
that the engine is perpendicular to the rotating piece on the stand. It
allows me to work on the top of the engine and then rotate it to work on
the bottom end very easily. Attaching it by the side of the block rather
than by the flywheel end, allows me to work on the clutch, flywheel, etc.
The only problem I have had is the rear engine plate can interfere with the
rotation in one direction.

Yeah, it took some trouble to design the whole rig and a couple tries at
dimensions and angles, but it works real well. The brackets that come with
most engine stands are designed to join the rotating plate to the bolt
holes where the transmission attaches to the engine plate. That works, too.