[Spridgets] Tight Steering

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Fri May 2 23:55:27 MDT 2008

I need  some advice to work out the tight steering issue with my 73
midget. The car had sat for at least 5 years before I got it. Maybe
more... I got a bunch of receipts with it, someone spent a lotta bucks
on it.

Among the items were rebuilt kingpins, which clearly have been installed
in the car. I have no idea who rebuilt them, but they look nice anyway...

With the front wheels off the ground, it took much force to spin the
steering wheel. I spent a while (hours!) flushing out the rack, and
refilled it. Now you can turn it from lock to lock with one finger. It
moves smoothly.

When driving, it still feels tight, and will not self-center. The wheel
will just stay in a turn. A while ago, someone  mentioned that sometimes
a washer or bushing is left out of the kingpins, and I should loosen up
the kingpin nut to see if that helps.

I went to do that and found the kingput nuts were already loose. Way
loose, actually. There's no way that they should be that loose.

I was also told to check/loosen the large nut on the rack, and also to
check the shims. This I could use a little guidance with.

But it seems to me that if the steering is still tight with the kingpin
nuts so loose, maybe it's not a kingpin problem. So I'm going to torque
those nuts to spec (40 ft/lbs I think).

--

Marc