[Spridgets] dyno time for turbo bugeye

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 25 15:21:53 MST 2008

I finally got Bugsy on the chassis dyno this morning.  The operator worked
over the timing and fuelling tables methodically and had just gotten to the
interesting "boosted" part of the tables when he jammed on the gas pedal and
pulled loose the throttle cable barrel.  I needed to get back to work and
called off the session at that point.

It seemed that the wide-band O2 sensor and tuning software had done a good job
and the low ends of the tables were pretty good.  He pulled off some advance
in the boosted part of the tables and richened up the fuel in the boost range
as well.

Even with the upper end of the tables in a slightly rough state, the
experience has been worth it.  Acceleration enrichment is now good and the
normal driving range is very well tuned.  I pulled 91HP at the wheels at just
about 3lb of boost.  Since its built to take at least 10 lbs, I'm going to
extrapolate from the dyno-produced fuel and spark advance tables to fill in
the upper ranges with conservatively rich/retarded numbers and go for another
ride this weekend.  Timing at 10lbs of boost is now set at 20deg BTDC.  I'm
guessing that its somewhere north of 110HP at the wheels under full boost.
The dyno guy said that was a conservative number.

I'm a happy boy!!

Glen