[Spridgets] Kate's brakes

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 09:57:11 MST 2008

Kate,

Look under the bonnet on the inside of the right fender (assuming a LHD
car).  There should be a little H shaped fitting with metal brake lines
running to it. If there is one there (and there should be on a 72) that is
the compensator (shuttle) that we are talking about. Inside of it is a
little piston which distributes the hydraulic braking between front and back
wheels. The idea is that if you develop a brake fluid leak in, say, the back
somewhere, the compensator will re-route all the hydraulic force to the
front brakes so you don't have massive brake failure.

Is there a sign of a brake fluid leak anywhere??  You mentioned much of the
brake system being new. If there is no sign of a leak, then the compensator
is probably fine (the little piston centered as it should be) and your
problem is in the MC. Lots of folks have problems bleeding the brakes when
fitting new or rebuilt MCs. The best way to do them is to bench bleed them
first before installing.

Don't ask.....

Cheers!!
Jim

On 3/8/08, Kate <kgb at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Guy R Day wrote:
> > Kate,
> > Do you have one of the wonderful 'shuttle valves' in your system?
> I have no idea. I don't do brakes. If it helps, my car is a 1972.
> >
> > Changing the head gasket on the Chrysler will not cure the brakes on
> > your Midget <smile> and leave you worrying that the Chrysler head
> > should have been planed before the gasket was replaced - and you'll
> > worry for ever.
> This is true, but it would give me a sporty convertible to drive to MO.
> As far as the head being planed, I am not worried, I caught it before it
> got too hot and shut it down. I'm sure the head is fine. One thing I
> have learned from 40+ years of British car ownership is to always keep a
> close eye on my gauges
>

> Kate.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City
Don't miss "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29,
2008!!
For info and registration... <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>