[Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Thu Jun 26 09:58:23 MDT 2008

Just a foot note.  The first English rear engined green car at
Indianapolis was a Cooper Climax driven by Jack Brabhama in 1960.  It
was not at the race until 1961.  Cooper had a new car for Jack but
they were half way around the world from each other and a deal was
made to meet at Indianapolis to test the car, with the official
timers for Indianapolis.  The timers were amazed that Jack was doing
lap times faster than what was needed to qualify for Indianapolis in
a new untried car.  Also that he was changing his lap times by a few
seconds in a fixed pattern.   As a result of these test Jack and the
car came back and qualified for the 1961 race where he finished ninth
- - - - but he was running on Dunlop tries for grand prix racing not
special Indy tires (contract with Dunlop would not let him run on any
other tire) and his car was centered between the wheels rather than
being off set to the inside of the track like the other Indy cars.
Oh and his engine was smaller.  Not taking away from Jimmy Clarks
achievements but Jack's performance always seemed amazing to me.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition