[Spridgets] Sleeving master/brake cylinders - Stainless vs. Brass

Guy Weller guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 04:50:15 MDT 2008

Fitting a longer pushrod may help, but do be careful not to "overthrow" the
clutch.  That is, to overcompress the clutch cover fingers which can then
distort and destroy the clutch.
The distance that the clutch mechanism moves between fully released and full
compressed is not actually controlled by the length of the slave pushrod,
but by the amount of fluid displaced when you press the pedal.  The pushrod
simply relays the movement. The necessary movement is rather less than 1/3
of the available travel at the slave cylinder, so that as long as the slave
piston isn't coming up against the circlip at the end before the clutch is
released, then the pushrod length will be immaterial.

But a combination of a thick new clutch driven plate and worn pivot points
on the clutch release lever arm can result in too much lost movement of the
release bearing, in which case the longer pushrod may help.

Guy