[Spridgets] Confuse Spridget identity

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 23:27:28 MDT 2008

I finally am getting around to asking this question though I've known about
it for a while.

As I have said in other posts, I appear to own a true mongrel Spridget. It
is registered as a GAN4U Midget and that is what is on the VIN tag on the
drivers side frame member. However, there are inconsistencies.  The bonnet
has the chrome arrows on it but the chrome side trim is missing.  In fact no
sign that it has ever been there when looking inside the wings and boot. On
the drivers side shock mounting plate, there is the number "61348" which is
different that the numbers on the VIN plate. The VIN plate is held in place
by metal tapping screws and not rivets. There are no letters on the shock
mount plate. Only the 5 digit number. According Horler, that number is in
the range for 1968 Midgets but why no side trim??  If the tub were from a
Sprite without the side trim, the number doesn't match the body style.

Just what the hell do I have here?  Were any Midgets made *without* the side
trim?!

"OoooArrr, Jim lad....  She looks like some sorta bastard, she does...",
Silver muttered with a wry smile - parrot perched precariously on his
shoulder.  "What man among you put a black spot on the page of a Haynes
manual??  Arrrr....."
--
Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City