[Spridgets] gasket sealer?

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Sun Jun 8 20:22:26 MDT 2008

I am almost finished cleaning up the old oil pan and timing cover
gaskets so I can install new ones. The oil pan gasket was totally
plastered with what appears to be both orange and black types of
sealant.  It's been no fun cleaning it up.

Is sealant really necessary? On previous projects I usually clean all
surfaces scrupulously, and then apply hylomar dressing lightly on one
side only to assist in keeping things in place during assembly. What
about a small amount of sealant in the corners of the oil pan seals?

--

Marc